THE CHURCH OF ST ANTONY AND ST PAUL 

The towers of the Church of St Antony and St Paul rise over the Monastery wall and is the first building one sees upon walking through the old gate into the central Monastery core. 

Built entirely of limestone and crowned with 5 domes, its construction was commissioned in 1939 by Bishop Theophilus (Metropolitan of Jerusalem) when he was then abbot of the Monastery, and was completed during the leadership of Bishop Filopos (Metropolitan of Dakhlia) when he was abbot of the Monastery. The beautiful murals in the church were painted in 1969 by the famous Coptic iconographer Jacob Fanous. This church is frequently used by visitors to the Monastery for celebrating the liturgy, as well as by the monks who each year celebrate a special liturgy on the feast of St Paul the Hermit (9 February).