THE CHURCH OF ST MARK THE ASCETIC 

The Church of St Mark or ‘the garden church’ (because of its location) is a 12 domed church dating back to 1766, and contains a beautiful wooden iconstasis composed of exquisite geometric shapes. The church walls are adorned with some beautiful antique icons, dating back to the 15th century and others to the 18th century.

St Mark the Ascetic, in whose name the church was constructed over the cell where he once dwelt, lived his monastic life in the Monastery of St Antony, where he died in 1386. He was known for his quiet and meek nature, and his strict ascetic life and purity of heart raised him to a high degree of spiritual perfection.

For many centuries this church has attracted the piety of the pilgrims because of the many miracles associated with the relics of St Mark which rest against the north wall of the church.